Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Life Lesson from growing Avacado Plant

 


When summer sowing season started, my son was obsessed with planting any seed he would find in the kitchen. We sow corn, peaches, apples, strawberries, chickpeas, different types of beans etc. In April, he saw me removing an avocado seed, and he immediately asked Google how to plant avocado. After we watched the video, we followed the procedure and kept the seed in the water. For the next 2 weeks nothing happened, so I decided to use another seed. 

We were changing water weekly.  After almost 3 weeks, we saw a split in the seed. He was so excited to see something happening finally. The split started breaking the seed into two pieces and on a fine day we saw some roots in the bottom and a small stem growing inside. I started changing water and adding some sugar to feed the plant. In almost 2 months, we saw a plant coming out of the avocado seed. It was not growing faster. I could see 3-4 leaves and  the length of the stem increasing slowly by October 2020. It was almost 5 months old and around 10 cm in height. I googled to see what's a good time to plant since winter was approaching, I was worried about what could happen now. I read that if a plant remains in water for a long time then the stem remains weak. The plant may not be able to hold itself when transferred to soil.

In October 2020, I decided to plant it in a pot. It's been 2 months now, and it's growing so fast that it tripled in height. There are three levels of leaves. What an amazing journey from seed to plant! First seed which did not germinate, I felt that nature knows what was best for the seed. This growing plant in winter in my house gives me hope that nature is powerful and nurture is essential. As Einstein said correctly, "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."  I stopped worrying about anything. My job is to grow and keep trying. Tao takes care of everything else. All is one!


1 comment: